CHICKEN STUFFED BELL PEPPERS
Meal prepping has been so key for me lately, especially since starting this new 80 day program that requires meal planning and incorporates timed nutrition. You HAVE to know what you’re going to have! And these chicken stuffed bell peppers are a perfect meal for the biggest meal of the day. And the best part, you can freeze whatever you don’t eat for later! They freeze and reheat extremely well. Plus, they’re a great way to get all your veggies, protein, AND carbs in all at once! (Yes, carbs are good for you!)
4 medium peppers of your choice, any color, cut in half, seeds removed.
2 tsp. olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 1/2 lb raw chicken breast, boneless, skinless, chopped into 3/4 inch pieces
1 tsp ground chili powder
1 tsp ground cumin
1/4 tsp Himalayan salt
1/4 tsp ground black pepper
2 cups cooked quinoa
1 cup canned black beans, drained, rinsed
1 cup frozen corn kernels
5 tbs chopped fresh cilantro, reserve some for garnish
1 tbs fresh lime juice
1 cup shredded Monterrey jack cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees
- Place bell peppers, skin side down, in large baking dish, set aside.
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
- Add onion; cook, stirring frequently, for 4-5 minutes, or until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic; cook, stirring frequently, for 1 minute.
- Add chicken, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper; cook, stiffing frequently, for 5 minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink.
- Add Healthy Tomato Sauce, quinoa, beans, corn, cilantro, and lime juice. Reduce heat to medium-low; cook, stirring occasionally for 3-5 minutes, or until heated through.
- Add a heaping 1/2 cup of chicken mixture to each pepper half; cover lightly with foil.
- Bake for 35 minutes, or until peppers are tender; remove foil.
- Top each pepper evenly with cheese. Bake for 3 minutes or until cheese is meted.
- Serve sprinkled with cilantro.